Fan Fixes the Disastorous VMA’s Performance
The 2002 Video Music Awards was a low point for Guns N’ Roses fans. Axl sounded terrible, seemed out of breath and none of the original members besides Axl were on stage. It was the first time a lot of people saw the new lineup of Guns N’ Roses. Sure there was Rock in Rio 3 in 2001 and a handful of Summer dates in 2002 that Guns N’ Roses played but to the general public this was the first time they saw Axl Rose’s new version of Guns N’ Roses. The only highlight for me was the performance of Madagascar. A fan has gone through the trouble of recreating the performance using the Live Era album for Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise City. Check it out below. Also while you’re at it check out our 5 Things You Didn’t Know About the 2002 VMA’s Performance that Guns N’ Roses did as well!
Tyler Bryant Talks Guns N’ Roses, Axl Rose, Brian Johnson and AC/DC
Tyler Bryant of Tyler Bryant and the Shakedown (TBS) was recently interviewed on the Appetite for Destruction podcast where he talked about touring with AC/DC when Brian Johnson was nearing the end of his run with the band and opening for Guns N’ Roses. I’ve summarized what we learned from the interview below.
- TBS opened for AC/DC for Brian Johnson’s last ten shows in 2016.
- Tyler Bryant said there were a few times where Brian told the audience he couldn’t hear. Talked about one show in Denver in particular how Brian was singing mostly from muscle memory and he couldn’t hear the guitars. Most of the other times Brian sounded great.
- TBS was in Nashville and they heard that Brian Johnson was leaving AC/DC and the AC/DC tour was postponed or cancelled. They were supposed to be playing Atlanta the next day and finish the American tour and go to Europe with AC/DC.
- Tyler Bryant was originally touring with Billy Gibbons but they left with his blessing to go tour with AC/DC.
- During the time after Brian left Tyler Bryant didn’t get much info out of AC/DC’s people. In fact Tyler Bryant made it seem that the AC/DC camp is very tight lipped about what’s going on behind the scenes even in this day and age of social media.
- Next time they heard about AC/DC it was when the band was in Atlanta rehearsing with singers and the photo of Axl leaving the studio came out.
- Axl Rose became familiar with Tyler Bryant when the band opened for AC/DC in Lisbon, Portugal. The next day Axl’s people got in touch with Tyler Bryant to ask them to open for GNR.
- Tyler Bryant wasn’t surprised if Axl sticks with AC/DC to record an album and do a tour although Tyler Bryant stressed that he didn’t have any inside information.
- Tyler wrote a thank you note to Axl for helping save his band’s summer when they were in limbo.