Slash Cites ‘The White Stripes’ as His Guilty Musical Pleasure
Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash talked to the French Press (Konbini) where he was promoting his latest album ‘Living the Dream’. He discussed his guilty musical pleasure in the interview saying
story continued below…
“Probably be ‘The White Stripes but then I don’t think that’s much of a surprise”
Meegan Hodges Shares Photo of Slash On His Tour Bus
Slash’s girlfriend Meegan Hodges shared a photo of Slash on his tour bus on Instagram recently. Check it out below.
Slash is out currently supporting his new record ‘Living the Dream’ which came out last week. You can check out our review of the album here.
Duff McKagan Doesn’t Want to Discuss Izzy Stradlin
Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan was interviewed by comedian Dean Delray about Izzy Stradlin’s exclusion from the reunion.
Dean discussed the mystique who was going to be in the band when the reunion was first announced.
Dean mentioned the rumors at the time, “Is Izzy in? Then boom, there is the Troubadour, and you see who is in. Then reports coming out of course, Izzy wanted this or whatever. It gets down to money, is that stuff real? Or is it a lot of fabricated stuff?”
Duff said, “I’m not sure what exactly you’re talking about. The thing is, I don’t really go on social media, or on the computer. When I’m busy doing my thing, nose to the grindstone, that’s what I’m doing. So we were rehearsing and doing stuff, I know there were a lot of rumors probably flying around, my wife would tell me stuff. I’m like no, that’s absolutely not anything close to what is happening. You know, I don’t really want to talk about machinations of how that came together. I’d rather it remain one of the last remaining mysteries. A lot of hard work, just a lot of hard work, and it was a real positive vibe about the whole thing.”
“Things were tried, and ascended to and not amended to, and you’ve just got to let it go, that’s it, and keep your nose to the grindstone. That was it, but it was all very positive.”
Matt Sorum Gives A Tour of A&M Studios Where Use Your Illusions Was Recorded!
Former Guns N’ roses drummer Matt Sorum gave his Instagram followers a walkthrough of the A&M Studios where Guns N’ Roses recorded the Use Your Illusion albums. Check it out below or go to his Instagram page here and click on A&M
Duff McKagan Visits the “Let There Be Rock Podcast” to Talk Guns N’ Roses
Guns N’ Roses Bassist Duff McKagan stopped by the “Let There Be Rock” Podcast to talk about Guns N’ Roses, more specifically the Use Your Illusion era. You can listen to the interview here
The interview was done at Duff’s house and you can even hear Susan in the background who made scrambled eggs for the host and Duff.
Below is a summary of what Duff McKagan had to say:
- When Duff McKagan first worked with Axl Rose in 2010 he never really thought too much about Guns N’ Roses getting back together.
- Duff McKagan talked about meeting Axl Rose in London in 2010 and getting on stage with him at the O2 arena and then going out for dinner with him the following night.
- Duff McKagan said him and Slash have always been cool with each other.
- Duff said he got a lot of flack from fans when a picture of him doing yoga with Richard Fortus appeared online from the 2014 South America tour.
- Duff revealed that the first year and a half of Velvet Revolver they were losing money. Duff McKagan said “In the first year and a half for Velvet Revolver we were in the hole. Going out and doing all that stuff….but we loved what we were doing”.
- Duff revealed that Guns N’ Roses didn’t start making money until 1988 when “Appetite for Destruction” started to sell and he would have to borrow money from his tech McBob to buy a sandwich.
- Duff said he didn’t understand money when he was younger and had a punk rock hatred towards money.
- Duff said that one of the things he first thought after his pancreas burst was whether anyone was ripping him off since there were a lot of people in Guns N’ Roses entourage. That forced Duff to go to business school.
- Duff revealed the Neurotic Outsiders didn’t make any money.
- Duff said he doesn’t go on social media or the internet to read about Guns N’ Roses rumors. Duff said his wife Susan would tell him stuff which was not true.
- Duff didn’t want to talk about how the Guns N’ Roses reunion came together. He said it was a lot of hard work and there was a really positive vibe of the whole thing and an inclusive vibe. Duff revealed that things were tried and things were ascended to.
- Duff said Axl picked “Coma” to perform live on the “Not in This Lifetime Tour” and he was impressed with Axl singing it every night. He said Axl is the most punk rock guy he knows.
- Duff said the setlist starts out with the lower register songs because it is easier to sing at the beginning for a vocalist.
- Duff said Axl’s vocal warmups are an hour and a half and he can hear Axl do his warmups at 6pm.
- After the show Axl stays longer at the venue in the shower and does vocal warm downs.
- Duff said there was no discussion between the band members about Axl showing up on time. He revealed sometimes Axl was ready to go on 15 to 20 minutes early.
- Duff said that Axl used to have a “guy” (Chris “Rock N’ Roll” Pittman) and wouldn’t say anymore and that Melissa adds a lot and she is a Seahawks fan.
- Duff said he still uses a Blackberry and said he’s not a huge fan of the phone. Duff said he never checks his voicemail.
- Duff said he wrote half his book on the Blackberry.
- Duff said he did an ad for Blackberry about how he wrote a lot of columns on their phone and he gets free phones from them.
- Duff said Axl sent him the link for the latest Blackberry.
- Dean told a story about running into Duff at an airport in New York and Dean was wearing his “Use Your Illusion 2” shirt at the time.
- Duff told a story about auditioning drummers to replace Steven Adler. He said they auditioned Martin Chambers from the Pretenders and Adam Maples at Mates Rehearsal Studios. Duff said him and Slash went to a Cult show. They both talked to Ian from the Cult after the show and since it was the Cult’s last show they were cool with Matt going to Guns N’ Roses. He said they auditioned with Matt and he hit the drums really hard and were good. Duff said some of the songs they rehearsed with Matt they hadn’t played with Steven Adler yet.
- Duff said the band hadn’t rehearsed a lot of songs that ended up on the Illusions record during the Appetite tour. A lot of the writing was done in Chicago. The band spent 3 months in Chicago and they were not well behaved.
- Duff said a lot of songs were written on acoustic guitar first. If it didn’t sound good on acoustic it wasn’t worth pursuing.
- Axl came up with the idea of putting out a double album. The label, Geffen fought the idea.
- By the end of the album recording Matt Sorum was losing his mind. By this time Matt already became like Duff and Slash in their hard partying ways.
- Duff said the band didn’t bring any drugs into the studio when recording Use Your Illusion records.
- The host said Axl Rose played him November Rain in the 80’s.
- ‘Don’t Cry’ was ready for “Appetite” but saved for Use Your Illusion records.
- Duff said he avoided his family for a few years during his addiction years.
- Duff said when he got back from the Appetite tour and bands and other people in LA were dressing like Guns N’ Roses with leather jackets, cowboy boots.
- Duff told a story about having his and Slash’s belongings stolen when on tour in Savannah, Georgia.
- Duff said he still has the same jeans he wore during the Paradise City music video shoot at Monsters of Rock Festival in 1988.
- The band didn’t conciously try to out do “Appetite for Destruction”
- When the band auditioned some demos at Sound City Studios in 1986 they only had 48 hours to record as many songs as they could. Duff told a story about picking up Nazareth guitarist Manny Charlton at the airport in a beat up car
- The host revealed that Mike Clink was a drum engineer for the “And Justice For All” Metallica album.
- Mike Clink’s speciality was micing up the different instruments. Clink would always say “dig in”.
- The song’s were tracked live on the Use Your Illusion record including ‘November Rain’ and ‘Estranged’.
- When Izzy Stradlin came in and heard “Coma” he said he didn’t get the song and he made chord charts since there were so many changes in the songs.
- Duff said him and Slash always rehearse over and over again because they want the songs to be learnt as muscle memory.
- Duff said ‘Estranged’ is one of his favourite songs to play live.
- Duff said Axl brought in Estranged on piano. Duff said it was hard for him and Slash and to translate the song onto bass and guitar. Axl asked Duff once at Mates if he was even playing the right notes. Duff said Slash went into uncharted territory making the dolphin sounds with his guitar.
- Duff said the label was trying to get the Use Your Illusion records into one record. Once the records were turned in to the record label the band hit the road and Axl was recording vocals while the band was on the road.
- The band worked collaboratively to decide which songs would end up on “Use Your Illusion 1 and 2”
- Duff said himself and Slash went to Tower Records and went to a two way glass office and saw people come in at midnight at September 17, 1991. Duff can’t remember himself which songs are on ‘Use Your Illusion 1’ and ‘Use Your Illusion 2’.
- Duff said he loves ‘Shotgun Blues’ and Axl plays guitar on the song. Duff loves Axl’s guitar playing style because it was so “simple and dirty”. Duff said Axl learned to play guitar using “Shotgun Blues”
- Duff said he also loves ‘My World’.
- Duff revealed that the song “The Garden” dates back to 1985.
- Duff said he wouldn’t be able to give a tour of the studio of where they recorded ‘Use Your Illusion’ records due to his addictions.
- Duff said when he was abusing substances he was not eating properly and not touching water. Duff said his feets and hands were cracking and hair was falling out. Duff said he saw some old pictures of himself when he was using and he looked lifeless in his eyes.
- Duff said they never had dealers traveling with them on the road. Duff said he went to some dodgy places to score. Duff said in Philly he went to some guys place and there were kids on the streets with baseball bats.
- Duff also said promoters were great for helping him score. Duff said he would never send someone to help get stuff for him.
- Duff said Izzy Stradlin’s addictions were worse than Duff so he was happy for Izzy once he got clean.
- Duff said there was one event during the Use Your Illusion era that caused his addictions to spiral out of control. He didn’t want to talk about it during the interview.
- Izzy didn’t travel with the band and he stayed in different hotels.
- Duff said Velvet Revolver ran into Izzy in Europe in 2004 and played 6 shows with the band.
- The interviewer brought up Slash’s comments about hating ‘Velvet Revolver’ the whole time. Duff said the first record ‘Contraband’ was great but soon after that things turned. Duff said around the time ‘Libertad’ was being written there were a lot of internal problems.
- Duff was asked about whether Guns N’ Roses will do another record. Duff just smiled and said things are super positive in the band. Duff confirmed that Axl had a “zillion songs’.
- Duff revealed that Axl wanted to play ‘Slither’. He just came in one day and said “I’d like to play ‘Slither’. It was Axl’s idea to do ‘Wichita Lineman’. Duff said the Glen Campbell song is a great showcase of Axl’s mid-range voice. Duff said Guns N’ Roses has been a band that always did covers.
- Duff said the band doesn’t own the rights to Appetite fully yet. He said in a few years they will, probably when it turns 35.
- Duff said the band could play “Appetite For Destruction” in it’s entirety.
- Duff wasn’t sure as to whether he’d be playing more ‘Loaded’ shows.
- Duff said he had some other stuff for him to do but he wouldn’t elaborate.
- Duff said nothing planned is to put the 1988 Ritz concert out on DVD.
- Duff said he will go see Bill Burr on the 28th of this month.
- Duff said Guns N’ Roses is going back out on tour to Asia.